What is CPD?
CPD stands for Continuing Professional Development
Why is the Malaysian Veterinary Council Insisting that Vets show evidence of CPD before it will grant the APC [Annual Practice Certificate]?
The Guiding Principle of CPD is that all Veterinary Surgeons must, for the betterment of their professional standing, keep up with ever-growing knowledge and developments relevant to their fields of practice.
What points can be carried forward to use in 2014 for the 2015 APC renewal?
Excess points obtained between October1st 2012- September 30th 2013. (30 CPD points are needed for the 2015 APC)
What points can be carried forward to use in 2015 for the 2016 APC renewal?
Excess points obtained between October 1st 2013- September 30th 2014. (50 CPD points are needed for the 2016 and 2017 APCs).
What points can be carried forward to use in 2017 for the 2018 APC renewal?
Excess points obtained between October1st 2016- September 30th 2017. (70 CPD points are needed for the 2018 APC)
Do I have to apply for my APC on the 1st of December? Can I apply earlier?
The 1st of December is really the very latest you should put in your application for APC of the following year. It is best to submit the application earlier. In fact, you can send in your APC application as soon as you have sufficient CPD points accrued. The veterinary surgeons that apply for a TPC need to send in the applications a minimum of two months before the TPC expires, but similarly to APCs, the TPC application can be sent in as soon as the required numbers of points are achieved. Late submissions after Dec 1st are subject to a penalty fee that must be paid before the practice certificate is issued
- 1. Dr XYZ attends CPD events from January 2014 to April 2014 and obtains 30 points by the end of April 2014. Dr XYZ can therefore proceed, in April 2014, to submit the following documents in hard copy, correctly filled, to the Secretary of MVC, at Putrajaya for the his/her APC of 2015:
- APC renewal form (can be downloaded from VAM website)
- Third Schedule of the MVC Directive 1/2013 (can be downloaded from MVC website) listing all the relevant CPD attended and points accrued as well as any points to be carried over from the previous year
- Copies of the attendance certificates collected at the CPD events, or copies of receipts for the events – whether local events or events abroad. If no certificate or receipt was given, say for a free seminar locally, make a reference to the free seminar while filling up the Third Schedule – the Organizer for the seminar should have submitted the attendance list to email@example.com at the latest by one week after the event. Unfortunately, the organisers for events abroad do not send participant lists to VAM, so we have to depend on your registration receipt or the Certificate of attendance as proof
- In the event an AGM was attended and no receipt or certificate obtained, make a reference to the AGM in the Third Schedule while filling it up. The Secretary of the Association should have submitted the attendance list to the firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest, one week after the AGM, unless it was an Association abroad – in which case attach the copy of your annual subscription receipt
- For veterinary surgeons who hold positions as committee members in their associations, the Hon Secretary should send in the current ExCo list after every AGM to email@example.com with a cover letter explaining what the list is about. ExCo members are entitled to 5 points
- For those who present at Scientific meetings, or publish scientific papers, or have publications in the press, present technical talks to the public, write for magazines etc, these are worth points as well , please include them in the third schedule. Attach copies of your papers/presentations / write up. Details of how points are awarded are found in the First Schedule of the MVC CPD Directive no 1/2013
- What points can be carried forward to use in 2014 for the 2015 APC renewal? Excess points obtained between Oct 1st 2012- September 30th 2013
- Last but not least, send in your payment for the APC renewal together with the completed forms